Small locally owned hotels, off-beach locations and special deals mean more travelers can take vacations this spring and summer in the Caribbean.
Thought a tropical vacation was out of reach this year because of your budget? Think again as many hotels lower their rates and offer special deals to attract more visitors. In Antigua, the island of 365 beaches, vacationers can choose from intimate hotels located on or near beaches and some package off-season deals that translate into prices under $200 a night for double accommodations.
Don’t worry about not being directly on the beach. Many of the beautiful beach-side resorts (including Sandals, Hawksbill by Rex, Halcyon by Rex and Curtain Bluff) offer day-rates to locals and those staying elsewhere, which means for one flat rate per person (usually around $60 U.S.) visitors get access to the beach including lounge chairs and watersport activities as well as lunch at one of the resort’s restaurants.
Just remember, these are moderate hotels without all fancy extras. If you are more intent on having a vacation that doesn’t blow your budget than staying in luxury, they are worth checking out.
On the Beach
- Antigua Village is a condo complex on Dickenson Bay beach where all the units are owned by individuals who then rent them out. Studio units, with small kitchens and patios or balconies, sleep two comfortably for $190 per night in low season (May to mid-December). The complex has a pool and small grocery, and restaurants are nearby.
- Catamaran Hotel, a small, family-run hotel on Falmouth Harbor waterfront has a small beach and marina adjacent. A superior view room with air conditioning for two runs $205 per night to May 31, and $175 from Jun. 1-Oct. 31.
- Coconut Beach Clubis a small, simple hotel right on Coconut Beach, and has a pool and two restaurants. From Apr. 1-Dec. 31, they are offering 30 percent off double rooms, meaning you get a room for two for $154 per night. And this is an all-inclusive rate, meaning breakfast, lunch and dinner are included, making it one of the best values on the island.
- Galleon Beach Resort, located in the English Harbour area at the southern end of the island, has a good beach with great snorkeling, an onsite restaurant and tennis courts. A beachfront 1-bedroom duplex unit with a living and dining area, full kitchen and patio goes for $187 per night from May 2-Dec. 12.
- Siboney Beach Club, on the beautiful Dickenson Bay beach, is set in a lush garden and has Coconut Grove, one of the most romantic restaurants on the island, adjacent to it. Superior suites for two that face the garden are $180 per night from Apr. 15-Dec. 19. Their honeymoon package throws in some extras like a day of sailing and a welcome bottle of win for the same rate, based on a 7-night stay.
Off the Beach
- Anchorage Inn, within walking distance to the outstanding beach at Dickenson Bay, offers oceanview rooms with a restaurant and pool on site. Superior room for two are $145 per night year round.
- Dove Cove Hotel, a short walk from Fort James Beach, features 1-bedroom air conditioned suites with kitchens, and a pool on the property. Doubles are $130 per night to Apr. 15, $85 Apr. 16-Dec. 14.
- Yepton Estate Cottages offer cottages with full kitchens and air conditioning. The property is located on salt pond suitable for fishing and bird-watching, and within walking distance to Loblolly Beach. Studio cottages that sleep two are $200 per night until Apr. 30, $165 per night May 1-Dec. 20.
For more information and direct booking, see the Antigua Hotel Association or the Antigua Tourism Office websites.